-   -   How to filter rows data based on background color of individual cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/449578-how-filter-rows-data-based-background-color-individual-cells.html)

Danielle Schoeck

How to filter rows data based on background color of individual cells

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the group and have been reading forums for a couple hours trying to find a solution for my issue, if anyone can help I'd be really appreciative!!

I have about 30 spreadsheets that I need to sort data. I'm using a Excel: Mac 2011.

Each sheet has about 100 rows and 80 columns.

I need to extract the rows that have a colored cell somewhere in the row. There are three types of colored cells: black, green, and red. The green and red have X typed in them too. The black cells have D typed in them.

Every row in the sheet has at least one cell with an X in it (colored or not).

I just need the rows with a colored cell to be extracted or filtered from all the rows without colored cells.

Hope this was enough information! Please let me know if there is anything I can do to clarify, and thanks.

Best,
Danielle

Ron Rosenfeld[_2_]

On Wed, 4 Dec 2013 06:20:30 -0800 (PST), Danielle Schoeck wrote:

[...]

In Excel 2007 (and I am not sure if this also applies to MAC 2011) the Data filter can filter by color IF the color was applied manually. Go to the Sort & Filter tab of the Data ribbon and select Filter. One of the options will be filter by color, with a choice of font, cell or icon (or something similar.

If the colors are the result of conditional formatting, then you can filter using the same criteria as the CF criteria -- probably have to use the Advanced Filter.

With the Advanced filter, you can copy to a new location.

With the Autofilter, you can select the range, then on the Home Ribbon / Find and Select /Go to Visible cells. Then copy and paste to the new location.

Claus Busch

How to filter rows data based on background color of individual cells

Hi Ron,

Am Wed, 04 Dec 2013 21:18:05 -0500 schrieb Ron Rosenfeld:

In Excel 2007 (and I am not sure if this also applies to MAC 2011) the Data filter can filter by color IF the color was applied manually. Go to the Sort & Filter tab of the Data ribbon and select Filter. One of the options will be filter by color, with a choice of font, cell or icon (or something similar.

the filter by color also works with color of conditional formatting.

Regards
Claus B.
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Ron Rosenfeld[_2_]

How to filter rows data based on background color of individual cells

On Thu, 5 Dec 2013 07:30:52 +0100, Claus Busch wrote:

Hi Ron,

the filter by color also works with color of conditional formatting.

Thanks for correcting me. It's not a feature I've used.