-   -   solver (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/44691-solver.html)

RONCPA

solver

How can I use solver, or some other excel application to force the sum of a
column to equal a specified number, by allowing the numbers being summed to
either be changed to 0 or remain exactly the same?

It is essentially to determine which 50 or so of 100+ deposits are included
in an enormously large sum (1 large deposit total).

Dnereb

the only way to do that is use VBA and think of an algoritm to solve
your
sum.

If you want to calculate all possebility's don't be surprised to wait
for several years before it would have the best solution if there is
any.

it's an exploding situation

with three numbers there are 8 possebility's
with four , 16
with five , 32
with six , 64
7...128
8...256
9...512
10..1024

16.. 65532

32.. 42949766

with hundred.... 2 to the power of hundred!

--
Dnereb

Dnereb's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26182
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=466382

Tushar Mehta

In article ,
says...
How can I use solver, or some other excel application to force the sum of a
column to equal a specified number, by allowing the numbers being summed to
either be changed to 0 or remain exactly the same?

It is essentially to determine which 50 or so of 100+ deposits are included
in an enormously large sum (1 large deposit total).

Find a set of amounts that match a target value
http://www.tushar-mehta.com/excel/ti...set-match.html

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions