-   -   Autofit for row height is not working. Why? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/4464-autofit-row-height-not-working-why.html)

Leo

Autofit for row height is not working. Why?

I am using Excel 2002 run on a Windows XP machine. In a cell I have typed a
bunch of text. I selected "wrap text" in the format of the cell. It is also a
merged cell with severl cells to the right. On one tab of the workbook, when
I double click on the row seperation line to the left it will automatically
change the hieght of the row to fit the content, keeping the column width
fixed. On the second tab in the work book when I do this or select "autofit"
from the format/row menu, the row will shrink to the height of one line of
text and nothing more. Is there some setting that is causing this? I have a
large number of rows and have to manually adjust them one at a time instead
of being able to double click and autofit them.

Gord Dibben

Leo

Merged cells will allow "wrap text" from FormatCellsAlignment but..........

Excel has a problem auto-fitting merged cells.

You can resize manually or via Macro. Jim Rech has written
code for this.

http://groups.google.com/groups?thre...%40tkmsftngp05

Note also a recent adaptation of this code by Greg Wilson.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?P37D24B15

The best cure is DON"T USE MERGED CELLS. They cause no end of problems with
copying, pasting, sorting, filtering.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 11:53:05 -0800, Leo wrote:

I am using Excel 2002 run on a Windows XP machine. In a cell I have typed a
bunch of text. I selected "wrap text" in the format of the cell. It is also a
merged cell with severl cells to the right. On one tab of the workbook, when
I double click on the row seperation line to the left it will automatically
change the hieght of the row to fit the content, keeping the column width
fixed. On the second tab in the work book when I do this or select "autofit"
from the format/row menu, the row will shrink to the height of one line of
text and nothing more. Is there some setting that is causing this? I have a
large number of rows and have to manually adjust them one at a time instead
of being able to double click and autofit them.

richarmk

Autofit for row height is not working. Why?

i find that even if the cells are not merged, but they are wrapped, sometimes
with an autofit to the row height, it almost works.It looks ok in "normal"
view, but on printing, the bottom of the text in the cell gets chopped off.
Particularly this happens with verdana text.

Should this happen?

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

[...]

the Bug

Autofit for row height is not working. Why?

So does anyone have a fix for printing a document that has NO merged cells,
but there is wrapped text in the cells, autofit makes it look ok until you
print it. This is a major issue in my book since I would have to adjust over
5000 rows by hand if there is no other way of doing this...
Has anyone written a macro that inserts an Alt+Enter at the end of the text
in cells?

I hope Microsoft is working on fixing this. In my book this makes the
program unusable. And this should be fixed as it's a basic function of a
program to print out the way it actually looks in the program...?