-   -   Binary bit analysis (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/44384-binary-bit-analysis.html)

MadManInABox

Binary bit analysis

Here's my situation, I need to be able to get this sort of response:

I have a 32 bit binary word, each bit corresponds to a certain alarm. So if
a certain bit in the word is 1 then that alarm is flagged, however if several
bits are 1 then all the corresponding alarms are flagged.

Is there some way to use some sort of lookup table which will show which
alarms have been triggered?

Ian

I don't know how you want to display the results, but using =MID(A1,x,1)
where x is 1 to 32 will return the value of that bit. You can ite this in
with an IF statement to give something like
=IF(MID(A1,x,1)=1,"Alarm","Noalarm"). Note that this counts from the left,
so changing x to 1 will return the MSB.

--
Ian
--
"MadManInABox" wrote in message
Here's my situation, I need to be able to get this sort of response:

I have a 32 bit binary word, each bit corresponds to a certain alarm. So
if
a certain bit in the word is 1 then that alarm is flagged, however if
several
bits are 1 then all the corresponding alarms are flagged.

Is there some way to use some sort of lookup table which will show which
alarms have been triggered?

Stefi

I'm afraid you didn't notice that Madman wrote 32 bits and not bytes!
Stefi

€˛Ian€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

[...]

Bernd Plumhoff

Put your word (integer) into cell A1, select cells B1:B28 and enter
=MOD(INT($A$1/(2^(ROW()-1))),2)
with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER (as array formula).

This will work for 28 bits (highest possible number: 268,435,455).

HTH,
Bernd

Stefi

I tried it, but it gave zero in all cells B1:B28 for any value in A1!
What's wrong?
Stefi

€˛Bernd Plumhoff€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

"Stefi" wrote in message
I'm afraid you didn't notice that Madman wrote 32 bits and not bytes!
Stefi

Yes, I did. I am assuming this 32bit binary word is a string of 32 zeros &
ones, each character representing 1 bit. If this is not the case, then
perhaps MadManInABox could enlighten me.

--
Ian