-   -   Can I save a re-useable template for Text Import Wizard? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/44376-can-i-save-re-useable-template-text-import-wizard.html)

Sinhavacin

Can I save a re-useable template for Text Import Wizard?

I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel
2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode. Is there any way to save
the column width settings for future re-use?

Mike

No.

"Sinhavacin" wrote:

I frequently have to import data from an accounts report txt file into Excel
2K, via the Text Import Wizard, fixed width mode. Is there any way to save
the column width settings for future re-use?

Dave Peterson

How about this:

If you're always importing files with the same layout, you could record a macro
when you import one of these files.

Start a new workbook.
Record a macro when you open your text file.

Do all the stuff you want during the import, but keep recording when you add
headers/page setup/filters/subtotals/columnwidths/whatever.

Then plop a button from the Forms toolbar on the worksheet (in the workbook that
contains the code). Assign your macro to this button.

Save that workbook and click the button to test it out!

You could even ask the user (you???) for the name of the file to import:

Option Explicit
Sub testme()

Dim myFileName As Variant

myFileName = Application.GetOpenFilename(filefilter:="Text Files, *.Txt", _
Title:="Pick a File")

If myFileName = False Then
MsgBox "Ok, try later" 'user hit cancel
Exit Sub
End If

Workbooks.OpenText Filename:=myFileName '....rest of recorded code here!

End Sub

You'll have to add all that .opentext stuff from your recorded macro.

--

Dave Peterson

Sinhavacin

Thanks very much, Dave. I had not thought about creating a macro; I have not
done any of that stuff for a long time, and will have to re-learn (so thanks
for the link as well). I will try it out.

Best wishes,
Sinhavacin