-   -   Pivot tables (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/43280-pivot-tables.html)

Gus

Pivot tables

Hi,

I have an .xls and have used a pivot table to analyse 1000s of rows of data.
An eg of the data that the Pivot table returns is as follows:

Count of Business type
Researcher Business type Total

Alan Pedersen Film distribution 11
Film production 20
Film sales 10
Alan Pedersen Total 41

The pivot table is counting the number of times "Film distribution" & "Film
production" etc re-occurs per researcher. What I need the pivot table to
count is the number of business types only. eg what I am looking for is:

Count of Business type
Researcher Business type Total

Alan Pedersen Film distribution 1
Film production 1
Film sales 1
Alan Pedersen Total 3

I have specified in the layout of the pivot table to "count" the business
type, but because there are numerous occurances of "Film distribution" &
"Film production" etc, it has counted them. Is it possible to count them as
one?

Many thanks for any help.
Gus

Debra Dalgleish

A pivot table won't calculate a unique count. You could add a column to
the list, then add that field to the pivot table.

There's an example he

http://www.contextures.com/xlPivot07.html#Unique

--
Debra Dalgleish