-   -   Formula / Macro Help (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/43234-formula-macro-help.html)

BSLAUTOMATION

Formula / Macro Help

Hi,

Can anyone help me?

I have some text in cell A1 and i wish it to search in column A on 5
other worksheets for that reference. If it then finds a match on one of
the sheets i want it to tell me on sheet1 in B1 that its in worksheet 4
for example

ie

sheet1 A1 = Toy Car

sheet4 A335 = Toy Car

sheet1 B1 = Sheet4

Can this be done??

Any help appreciated

Regards

Craig

--
BSLAUTOMATION
BSLAUTOMATION's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7611

Dave Peterson

One way is to just look, and look again and look again...

Here's an example that just looks through 2 sheets:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!A:A,0)),"sheet1",
IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"Sheet2",
"neither"))

(all one cell)

You get 7 levels of looking until you have to use a different formula.

BSLAUTOMATION wrote:

[...]

Cheers Dave,

Great help!

Is there another function other than MATCH - i was using the SEARCH
function but
i have to change A1 to the actual text ie "Toy Car"
=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"sheet2",
=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("Toy Car",Sheet2!A:A,0)),"sheet2",

Reason im doing this is so that if someone put "Dinky Toy Car" into A1
it would still find "Toy Car" on sheet2

Any help??

Cheers

Craig

Dave Peterson Wrote:
One way is to just look, and look again and look again...

Here's an example that just looks through 2 sheets:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Sheet1!A:A,0)),"sheet1",
IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,Sheet2!A:A,0)),"Sheet2",
"neither"))

(all one cell)

You get 7 levels of looking until you have to use a different formula.

--
BSLAUTOMATION
BSLAUTOMATION's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7611
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=400755

Dave Peterson

Can you strip the unnecessary text out of the cell (remove "dinky " in this
case)?

And do you have rules that can be applied in general--always take the last two
words????