-   -   Help needed with date format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/42778-help-needed-date-format.html)

[email protected]

Help needed with date format

I've always entered date as yy-mm-dd. In fact when I want to enter Aug 28, 2005, I would only need to enter "5-8-28".
With the proper formatting on the cells, the date will be displayed as "2005-08-25", or "050825" or whatever I have
formatted it as.

My problem started after I installed Tiger (OS 10.4) over the weekend. Now all the format has changed. I've tried to change
between the formatting on Excel, chedked the preferences as well as changing the System Preferences. But I just can't
get back to what I used to get in the date
format. The cell will display whatever I format and that's not a problem. Where the real problem is where I enter the
date. If I enter it like I've always been; "5-8-28". Instead of getting "2005-08-28", I'd get May, 8, 2028. The only way
to get around this would be if I change the way I enter the date to "month/day/year". But I've been entering date my way
for years, and I definitely don't want to have to change now.

So is there anyway to change this. so it will accept the date as the way I enter it as "year-month-day".

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bryan Hessey

Hi,

In the Control Panel, 'Regional & Language' options, Regional Options,
Customise, Date is a 'Short Date Format' which appears to control the
entry described. If you set this to yyyy/mm/dd you should be able to
enter the year first, followed by month then day, but I cannot guess
what else trhis may change in your system.

--
Bryan Hessey
Bryan Hessey's Profile: