-   -   Conditional Processing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/42387-conditional-processing.html)

Daniell

Conditional Processing

What I have is a column with 6 characters that can either be all alpha or 1
alpha with 5 numeric characters. What I need to do is examine cell and if
the last five characters are numberic compute the cost. How would I make a
condition to do that.

part # QTY ID Rate Extension
23456 23 JJones .34
39485 20 J23494 .59 11.80
96874 30 J23494 1.19 35.70
16349 50 DDavis .59

bj

in your extension column enter
=if(isnumber(value(right(ID,4))),Qty*Rate,"")

"Daniell" wrote:

What I have is a column with 6 characters that can either be all alpha or 1
alpha with 5 numeric characters. What I need to do is examine cell and if
the last five characters are numberic compute the cost. How would I make a
condition to do that.

part # QTY ID Rate Extension
23456 23 JJones .34
39485 20 J23494 .59 11.80
96874 30 J23494 1.19 35.70
16349 50 DDavis .59

Ian

bj's formula will work, though you may wish to change the 4 to a 5. If as
you say, ID is either all alpha or 1 alpha & 5 numeric, the formula would
work with the number in the formula being anything between 1 & 5.

--
Ian
--

"Daniell" wrote:

What I have is a column with 6 characters that can either be all alpha or
1
alpha with 5 numeric characters. What I need to do is examine cell and
if
the last five characters are numberic compute the cost. How would I make
condition to do that.

part # QTY ID Rate Extension
23456 23 JJones .34
39485 20 J23494 .59 11.80