-   -   How do I save a password protected Excel doc in order to open? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/42189-how-do-i-save-password-protected-excel-doc-order-open.html)

Stamperfiend

How do I save a password protected Excel doc in order to open?

Is there a way I can "save as" a password protected Excel spreadsheet to a
different location in order to open it, bypassing the password?

Dave Peterson

Try
File|saveas
on the SaveAs dialog, click on Tools|General and erase any password you find.

--

Dave Peterson

Stamperfiend

Thanks for your response. I appreciate your willingness to give me some
guidance. This suggestion did not work, however. The document is not one
that I created. When I open it, there is a password box in the middle of a
greyed out Excel spreadsheet. I do not have the option to get into any of
the menu items. Is there another way?

Stamperfiend wrote:

Is there a way I can "save as" a password protected Excel spreadsheet to a
different location in order to open it, bypassing the password?

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

If you need the password to open (different from the password to modify), you'll
have to find that password somehow.

You could search google for password breakers (usually not free) or ask the
developer.

My suggestion would only work if you could open the file (even in readonly
mode).

Stamperfiend wrote:

Is there a way I can "save as" a password protected Excel spreadsheet to a
different location in order to open it, bypassing the password?

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Stamperfiend

Thanks for getting back to me again. I was afraid this would be the answer,
but thought I had read about a way to circumvent a password. Appreciate your
help.