-   -   Removing formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/41618-removing-formatting.html)

Carla

Removing formatting

I have an inherited spreadsheet where the data was pulled from Oracle. It's a
simple Excel sheet (Excel 2003). However for example in one of the columns it
says Cables and I need to change that to CABLES. When I type it, it reverts
back to the original. I have tried to remove all formatting. I tried to
format as general and text but still does the same thing. I found a word
around by typing in another spreadsheet and copying/pasting over, but is
there a way to remove whatever hidden formatting is out there? I tried
clearing just the formatting and also clearing everything from the cell and
it still does the same thing.

Thanks,
Carla

David McRitchie

Hi Carla,
Try hitting ctrl+z as soon as it changes.
Other solutions include selecting the row or column and converting
to capitals with a macro.
http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel/proper.htm#upper

I would recommend that you not use capitals. If the are column headings
how about using proper case (again a macro) and then making the row bold.

I think the feature you don't like at the moment is
tools, options, edit, turn off autocomplete
---
HTH,