-   -   seach and replace '(' with an '/' (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/41357-seach-replace.html)

Splt Window Diner

seach and replace '(' with an '/'

I have a text field with a '('.
ex: 125 108(130

I want to replace the '(' with a '/' without changing the format of the
field to a fraction so my result would be '125 108/130' instead of changing
it to
'125.8307692'

Would appreciate any help someone could give me.

Tushar Mehta

Do you want XL to treat the result as a number or text?

Tushar Mehta
www.tushar-mehta.com
Custom MS Office productivity solutions

In article ,
says...
I have a text field with a '('.
ex: 125 108(130

I want to replace the '(' with a '/' without changing the format of the
field to a fraction so my result would be '125 108/130' instead of changing
it to
'125.8307692'

Would appreciate any help someone could give me.

Dave O

I clicked Edit Replace, entered "Search For" ( then "Replace With" /.
Excel automatically converted the fraction to least common
denominator. Then I formatted the cell as numeric with 7 decimal
places and got your intended result. Does that work the same for you?

Dave O

Apologies, misread the post. Do you need the fraction to remain as it
originated, without reducing to least common denominators?

Martin P

=SUBSTITUTE(A1,"(","/")