-   -   which better: Frequency vs Histogram (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/41194-better-frequency-vs-histogram.html)

Melissa

which better: Frequency vs Histogram

I read "Explore Histograms" in
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...109481033.aspx and found it
educational. However, I can't see a difference in output between using a
Histogram and using the Frequency function.

Can anybody share the pros and cons of each?

Jerry W. Lewis

I think you have missed the point. The article says that the table
produced by the ATP histogram tool is exactly the same as the table
(with same bin definitions) produced by the FREQUENCY function. The
difference is not in the values calculated, but in the fact that the
histogram table is a static table that will not update if you
subsequently change the data, whereas the FREQUENCY function gives a
live formula that would update.

Jerry

Melissa wrote:

I read "Explore Histograms" in
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...109481033.aspx and found it
educational. However, I can't see a difference in output between using a
Histogram and using the Frequency function.

Can anybody share the pros and cons of each?

Melissa

oooh.... now I get it! Thanks!

Melissa wrote:

I read "Explore Histograms" in
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/as...109481033.aspx and found it
educational. However, I can't see a difference in output between using a
Histogram and using the Frequency function.

Can anybody share the pros and cons of each?

Jerry W. Lewis

You're welcome, glad it helped.

Jerry

Melissa wrote: