-   -   COUNTIF using formatting? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/4116-countif-using-formatting.html)

Nicolle K.

COUNTIF using formatting?

Here is a basic example of what I'm trying to do:

I have a list of football teams. Each week, I format the football teams
that won with red font. Is there a way to find a count of those teams
formatting in red and display that number in my worksheet?

I know an alternate way around this would be to have a win/loss column and
do a COUNTIF based on the values there. But I'm wondering if there's a way
to do it based on the formatting instead of the values.

Gordon

Nicolle K. wrote:
Here is a basic example of what I'm trying to do:

I have a list of football teams. Each week, I format the football
teams that won with red font. Is there a way to find a count of
those teams formatting in red and display that number in my worksheet?

I know an alternate way around this would be to have a win/loss
column and do a COUNTIF based on the values there. But I'm wondering
if there's a way to do it based on the formatting instead of the
values.

No AFAIK - you need to flag the rows that correspond to the winning teams.

Jason Morin

Yes, but it requires VBA. See:

http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.ColourCounter.html

HTH