-   -   Date Format Squirrelly (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/41130-date-format-squirrelly.html)

Bill Martin -- (Remove NOSPAM from address)

Date Format Squirrelly

This must be simple, but it's driving me crazy. I have a date in one
spreadsheet -- 07/21/05 for example. When I copy the cell and paste it into a
second spreadsheet it shows as 07/20/01. Hmmm... Ok, I played around with
pasting it various ways (e.g. value only, format only, etc.) and by manually
telling the second sheet to format it this way and that, but I still get two
different dates.

So then I go in and tell both spreadsheets to format the date as a number. They
both display the same number 37092. So then I go back and tell both
spreadsheets to reformat the cell as mm/dd/yy and once again they display the
two different dates. Hmm...

So then I type the date 7/21/05 into the second sheet and it displays properly.
When I ask it to format as a number though it shows 38554 *not* 37092. So
then I got type the same date into the first spreadsheet. It displays properly
and when I ask to see it formatted as a number it shows 37092.

What's going on? How can these two spreadsheets, open in Excel at the same time
side-by-side be interpreting the same number as two different dates?

I'm confused ... *really* confused.

Bill

Bryan Hessey

Bill,

You say 'a second spreadsheet', but if you mean 'a second Workbook'
then please, in Tools, Options, Calculation, check which has the 1904
date system ticked.

--
Bryan Hessey
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=396955

Bob Phillips

You mean as was suggested yesterday, and as the OP posted back that it
worked for him?

--

HTH

RP

[...]