-   -   Finding a particular text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/41060-finding-particular-text.html)

Animesh

Finding a particular text

I have two sets of data, one column containing the whole address and one
containing only the city names. I need to arrange the data as per the city
names. Can i do it in Excel? I kinda tried using the Find( ) command like
isnumber(find(text),,) but it only works for a cell and not for an array. Can
anyone help??

DaveB

So you have 2 separete columns, one with the city name already extracted and
matching to the corresponding address on every row?

If this is the case you can do a Data-Sort and just sort on the city name
column. Excel will copy the respective address record to correspond to the
sort.

Dave

"Animesh" wrote:

I have two sets of data, one column containing the whole address and one
containing only the city names. I need to arrange the data as per the city
names. Can i do it in Excel? I kinda tried using the Find( ) command like
isnumber(find(text),,) but it only works for a cell and not for an array. Can
anyone help??

Dave O

Can you simply sort on the column that contains the city name?

DaveB

....Sorry forgot to add make sure BOTH the city name and address column are
selected before you do the sort.

Dave

"Animesh" wrote:

I have two sets of data, one column containing the whole address and one
containing only the city names. I need to arrange the data as per the city
names. Can i do it in Excel? I kinda tried using the Find( ) command like
isnumber(find(text),,) but it only works for a cell and not for an array. Can
anyone help??

Animesh

the city names are not an extract of the addresses at all...they are two
totally different sets of data but the address data could contain the city
name and in all probability shall contain it. I want to check whether the
address data has that city name and if so align it accordingly