-   -   why do 5 workbooks open when I double click one (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/40496-why-do-5-workbooks-open-when-i-double-click-one.html)

dnlighting

why do 5 workbooks open when I double click one

I double click on an Excel file and 4 or 5 files open simultaneously.

salooha

you have workbooks stored in your XLStart folder, a hidden folder that you
could put workbooks in it in order to open workbooks automatically once you
open excel.

to get rid of this problem, you have to turn on "show hidden fikes" in
windows. to do this, double click on my documents -- go to tools,folder
options, underf iles and folders, check "show hidden files and folders" radio
button then click ok. go tothe path below, assuming C is the letter for your
hard drive, and ofcourse User is your user name. make sure there is nothing
under XLSTART Folder, once you delete all the workbooks in this folder. you
shouldn't have this problem when you start excel next time....

C:\Documents and Settings\User\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

let me know if this helps...

_______________________
Thanks,
salah
http://leitek.com

"dnlighting" wrote:

I double click on an Excel file and 4 or 5 files open simultaneously.

bigwheel

Have you got an entry on the "Alternate startup file location"
(ToolsOptionsGeneral) This extract is from the helpfile:-

Specify an additional startup folder
Caution Because Microsoft Excel will attempt to open every file in the
additional startup folder, make sure you specify an empty folder or a folder
that contains only files that Excel can open.