joinme4coffee

Default Password Protect a Worksheet

Help! I am trying to password protect a worksheet and the "Password to open"
box is not available. The "password to edit" box is OK.
salooha

hi there,
if you go file -- save as -- then click on tools -- general options,
there should be a couple of entry boxes, one for password to open and the
other is for password to modify. this is one way to password protect the
worksheet from opening without authorization.

the other way which I am assuming you're asking about is if you go to tools
-- options -- 'security' tab. there should be two entry boxes as well, one
says password to open and the other password to modify..is this what you're
talking about??

can you please ellaborate a little?

--
Thanks,
salah

"joinme4coffee" wrote:

Help! I am trying to password protect a worksheet and the "Password to open"
box is not available. The "password to edit" box is OK.

joinme4coffee

I am using the first option you list. The entry box for password to open is
grayed out. the box for password to modify is available

Thanks for your help!

"joinme4coffee" wrote:

Help! I am trying to password protect a worksheet and the "Password to open"
box is not available. The "password to edit" box is OK.

Gord Dibben

If you really mean "worksheet" and not "file" then click on
ToolsProtectionProtect Sheet(or workbook).

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 15 Aug 2005 11:47:08 -0700, "joinme4coffee"
wrote:

Help! I am trying to password protect a worksheet and the "Password to open"
box is not available. The "password to edit" box is OK.

Gord Dibben

My guess is that the file is shared.

The "password to open" will be grayed out in that case.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

"joinme4coffee" wrote:

Help! I am trying to password protect a worksheet and the "Password to open"
box is not available. The "password to edit" box is OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

ToolsShare Workbook.

If it is shared the "allow etc." checkbox will be checked.

Uncheck it to un-share.

Note: the workbook will save itself when you click on OK

Now you can go back into FileSave asToolsGeneral Options and you will have
two password dialogs available.

Gord

"joinme4coffee" wrote:

Help! I am trying to password protect a worksheet and the "Password to open"
box is not available. The "password to edit" box is OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the response. I don't have the "allow etc." checkbox checked. I
still don't see the "password to open" option enabled. I tried checking and
un-checking too, with no results.

Appreciate any help.
thanks

"joinme4coffee" wrote:

Help! I am trying to password protect a worksheet and the "Password to open"
box is not available. The "password to edit" box is OK.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The only thing I know of that would gray out the "password to open" and leave
"password to modify" available is if the workbook is shared so I can't be of any
help if you have established that the workbook is not shared.

Hopefully someone will have another idea.

Gord