-   -   How do I make an Excel file not open 2 copies? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/40443-how-do-i-make-excel-file-not-open-2-copies.html)

EC

How do I make an Excel file not open 2 copies?

MS Excel 2000

I have been using a file for months, and all of a sudden it is now opening 2
copies of the same file. They open in different views, and is confusing. I
understand I can close one of them out. Why did this start happening, and
how do I tell Excel to stop opening 2 copies?

RagDyeR

If you see a < :1 and a < :2 appended to the end of the WB name in the
title bar, that means you have multiple "windows" opened of the same WB.

<Ctrl <W
to close one of the copies.
Then <Save the WB, to prevent the "double window" file from re-appearing.
--

HTH,

RD

"EC" wrote in message
MS Excel 2000

I have been using a file for months, and all of a sudden it is now opening 2
copies of the same file. They open in different views, and is confusing. I
understand I can close one of them out. Why did this start happening, and
how do I tell Excel to stop opening 2 copies?

dominicb

Good afternoon EC

At some time in the past you've probably selected Window New Window.
To get rid of it simply close one of the windows using the X at the top
of the worksheet, not in the top right hand corner, then save the
file. The next time you go into this file, only one view will be
there.

HTH

DominicB

--