-   -   How do I split 16 char text 'XX XXX= +. X' into 16 columns (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/40415-how-do-i-split-16-char-text-xx-xxx%3D-x-into-16-columns.html)

Jeff

How do I split 16 char text 'XX XXX= +. X' into 16 columns

I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has similar
function too. Thanks.

Bob Phillips

=mid(a1,column(a1,1)

in B1 and copy across

--

HTH

RP

"Jeff" <Jeff @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has

similar
function too. Thanks.

Norman Jones

Hi Jeff,

See the Data | Text to Columns feature.

If you select the 'Fixed width' option, column breaks can be inserted after
each character with a mouse click..

---
Regards,
Norman

"Jeff" <Jeff @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has
similar
function too. Thanks.

RagDyeR

One way,

Select data column, then
<Data <TextToColumns <Fixed Width <Next
Click in the Preview window to create the break lines to separate the
digits,
Then <Finish
--

HTH,

RD

"Jeff" <Jeff @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has similar
function too. Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Bob, thanks. 2nd column's formula will be =mid(b1,column(b1),1) when copy
across. It should be =mid(a1,column(b1),1). Any idea how first to default 1st
field to be 'a1' ?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=mid(a1,column(a1,1)

in B1 and copy across

--

HTH

RP

"Jeff" <Jeff @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has

similar
function too. Thanks.

Jeff

Hi Norman, I got it now. Thanks a lot.

"Norman Jones" wrote:

Hi Jeff,

See the Data | Text to Columns feature.

If you select the 'Fixed width' option, column breaks can be inserted after
each character with a mouse click..

---
Regards,
Norman

"Jeff" <Jeff @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has
similar
function too. Thanks.

Jeff

Hi RDR, thank you.

Rgds..Jeff

"RagDyeR" wrote:

One way,

Select data column, then
<Data <TextToColumns <Fixed Width <Next
Click in the Preview window to create the break lines to separate the
digits,
Then <Finish
--

HTH,

RD

"Jeff" <Jeff @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has similar
function too. Thanks.

Bob Phillips

Sorry, my bad

=mid($a$1,column(a1,1)

--

HTH

RP

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi Bob, thanks. 2nd column's formula will be =mid(b1,column(b1),1) when

copy
across. It should be =mid(a1,column(b1),1). Any idea how first to default

1st
field to be 'a1' ?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=mid(a1,column(a1,1)

in B1 and copy across

--

HTH

RP

"Jeff" <Jeff @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has

similar
function too. Thanks.

Jeff

Thank you.

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

Sorry, my bad

=mid($a$1,column(a1,1)

--

HTH

RP

"Jeff" wrote in message
Hi Bob, thanks. 2nd column's formula will be =mid(b1,column(b1),1) when

copy
across. It should be =mid(a1,column(b1),1). Any idea how first to default

1st
field to be 'a1' ?

"Bob Phillips" wrote:

=mid(a1,column(a1,1)

in B1 and copy across

--

HTH

RP

"Jeff" <Jeff @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I knew that Lotus 1-2-3 has Parse function but not sure if Excel has
similar
function too. Thanks.

Bernard Liengme

Excel calls it Text-to-Columns - it is under the Data menu
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme