-   -   How do I shift cells down in a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/40234-how-do-i-shift-cells-down-column.html)

lillysmom

How do I shift cells down in a column

I have excel 2002 and need to shift cells down in a column without effecting
the rest of the sheet. Please help

Chip Pearson

Just select the location where you want the new cell to appear,
go to the Insert menu, choose Cells, and select "Shift cells
down" in the dialog that is displayed.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"lillysmom" wrote in
message
I have excel 2002 and need to shift cells down in a column
without effecting
the rest of the sheet. Please help

lillysmom

The "cells" option isn't available (grayed out) and did I mention that I
wanted to move all of the data in the cells down?

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Just select the location where you want the new cell to appear,
go to the Insert menu, choose Cells, and select "Shift cells
down" in the dialog that is displayed.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"lillysmom" wrote in
message
I have excel 2002 and need to shift cells down in a column
without effecting
the rest of the sheet. Please help

Chip Pearson

If the Cells option is grayed out, it is probably because the
worksheet is protected. Unprotect the sheet and you should be
able to insert cells. To move all the cells down, go to the
Insert menu and choose Row.

--

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Just select the location where you want the new cell to
appear,
go to the Insert menu, choose Cells, and select "Shift cells
down" in the dialog that is displayed.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"lillysmom" wrote in
message
I have excel 2002 and need to shift cells down in a column
without effecting
the rest of the sheet. Please help

lillysmom

I checked to make sure the sheet is unprotected, but the cell option is still
grayed. I do only want to move the cell not the entire row.

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Just select the location where you want the new cell to
appear,
go to the Insert menu, choose Cells, and select "Shift cells
down" in the dialog that is displayed.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"lillysmom" wrote in
message
I have excel 2002 and need to shift cells down in a column
without effecting
the rest of the sheet. Please help

Dave Peterson

Have you filtered your data?

Do you have a filter in effect?

If yes, data|filter|show all, then follow Chip's instructions.

"Chip Pearson" wrote:

Just select the location where you want the new cell to
appear,
go to the Insert menu, choose Cells, and select "Shift cells
down" in the dialog that is displayed.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson
Microsoft MVP - Excel
Pearson Software Consulting, LLC
www.cpearson.com

"lillysmom" wrote in
message
I have excel 2002 and need to shift cells down in a column
without effecting
the rest of the sheet. Please help

--

Dave Peterson