-   -   Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/40104-using-excel-gradebook-ability-drop-lowest-grade.html)

Teacher

Using Excel as a gradebook with ability to drop lowest grade

I use Excel as my gradebook using separate worksheets for subcategory. In the
test worksheet, I would like to be able to, for each student, drop the lowest
test grade. This may be a different test for each student.

StinkeyPete

Try this:

=(SUM(B2:F2)-(MIN(B2:F2)))/(COUNT(B2:F2)-1)

This will drop the lowest grade and give you the average grade after the
lowest grade is dropped. This assumes that you have five grades entered in
columns B through F.

Hope this helps.

"Teacher" wrote:

I use Excel as my gradebook using separate worksheets for subcategory. In the
test worksheet, I would like to be able to, for each student, drop the lowest
test grade. This may be a different test for each student.

Domenic

Assuming that B2:F2 contains the test grades (5 for this example),
here's another way...

=AVERAGE(LARGE(B2:F2,{1,2,3,4}))

Hope this helps!

In article ,
"Teacher" wrote:

I use Excel as my gradebook using separate worksheets for subcategory. In the
test worksheet, I would like to be able to, for each student, drop the lowest
test grade. This may be a different test for each student.

Teacher

Thanks so much, Domenic and Pete! I'll try those!!!