-   -   Vlookup finds a blank, but returns a zero - HELP! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3999-vlookup-finds-blank-but-returns-zero-help.html)

flummoxed

Vlookup finds a blank, but returns a zero - HELP!

I have a chart, and several series contain data that comes from elsewhere
using a VLOOKUP. However, when the VLOOKUP finds a blank, it returns a zero.
I want the chart to interpolate the data, but Excel charts can only
interpolate blanks, not zeroes. I've used ISBLANK with the VLOOKUP to return
what appears to be a blank, but the chart still sees it as a zero, and thus
will not interpolate. I'd like to know if there's a way to set the value of
a cell to NULL, because "" doesn't work...

Dave O

You have a couple of options for a workaround: one is to nest the
VLOOKUP into an IF formula, so the logic flow would be: IF(vlookup
value = "","",normal vlookup)

Another way to do it is to nest a MATCH function inside an INDEX
function, best shown by example: suppose values in A1:A4 are
penny
nickel
dime
quarter

....and suppose values in B1:B4 are
..01
..05
..1
..25

Copy the A1:A4 values into D1:D4 (to show that the values can appear in
a different cell, must be spelled exactly, etc). Then in cell E1,
enter this formula:
=INDEX($A$1:$B$4,MATCH(D1,$A$1:$A$4,0),2)

The English translation is: find an exact match of D1 in the range
A1:A4 (which becomes a row reference for the INDEX function); in the
range A1:B4 go to the row specified by the MATCH function and the
column number supplied (i.e., 2).

Aladin Akyurek

Insert an additional column before the column where you have your
VLOOKUP formula. Suppose that column Y is the column housing those
retrieval formula:

In X2 enter & copy down:

=IF(Y2=0,#N/A,Y2)

Exclude column Y from charts.

flummoxed wrote:
I have a chart, and several series contain data that comes from elsewhere
using a VLOOKUP. However, when the VLOOKUP finds a blank, it returns a zero.
I want the chart to interpolate the data, but Excel charts can only
interpolate blanks, not zeroes. I've used ISBLANK with the VLOOKUP to return
what appears to be a blank, but the chart still sees it as a zero, and thus
will not interpolate. I'd like to know if there's a way to set the value of
a cell to NULL, because "" doesn't work...

flummoxed

I appreciate your suggestion, but I've already nested the VLOOKUP in an IF
statement, similar to the way you've suggested. Mine follows this pattern:
IF(ISBLANK(VLOOKUP),"",VLOOKUP) I get a result that appears as a blank, but
still carries a value of zero. in your example, if you substitute a blank
for the value of a nickel instead of .05, then chart the results column (with
interpolation for blank cells), you'll see my dilemma. It won't interpolate,
because it has a zero value. The INDEX MATCH combination provides the same
result as a VLOOKUP.

"Dave O" wrote:

[...]

RagDyer

The #N/A error is very friendly to making graphs show null.
So, simply revise your formulas to replace the null [ "" ] with "#N/A" (no
quotes).
--

HTH,

RD

"Dave O" wrote:

[...]

Thanks! That worked like a charm -- Excel sometimes works in mysterious
ways, doesn't it? Sorry if I didn't keep a response within the group, but
this is my initial forray into this medium.

"Dave O" wrote:

[...]

You DID keep your response within the news group,

AND, thanks for the feed-back.

RD