Old August 15th 05, 01:27 AM
Lomax

I have got to ask..

Eric,
Did you open the file?

Lomax
"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message
Take a look at

http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/fileandvbapwords.html

for a link to a less expensive solution.

In article ,
"Eric Fehlhaber" wrote:

Does anyone know of any software that can crack a password protected .xls
file for free? I found this one... http://www.elcomsoft.com/aopr.html I
don't think it's worth it for one document though.

Thanks

Eric

Old August 15th 05, 03:52 AM
JE McGimpsey

In article ,
"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

I never told anyone that they should or should not respond to the request
for a crack. I've only said that I am skeptical about anyone who wants one.

I was referring to your telling the OP

And since the file was protected in the first place, maybe you
shouldn't be trying to break into it.

It sounded to me like an attempt to impose your morals and ethics.

"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message
In article ,
"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote:

I have my hands full with my own set of personal morals and ethics
without trying to impose them on others.

Yet you did so in your first post of this thread...

I'm confused.

Old August 15th 05, 04:48 AM
JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]

Nope, just making a suggestion. Imposing my morals would be "Don't do that
because ....." or "It's a sin to .....". I didn't do either - I just
suggested that maybe they shouldn't be trying to break into the file.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

Old August 15th 05, 07:37 PM
Harlan Grove

"David R. Norton MVP" wrote...
"Harlan Grove" wrote in:

Then your experience is either severely outdated or
unrepresentative.

No, you're just being argumentative.

No, you're stating what most people, at least in the US and with some
familiarity with computer stores in the US, would recognize as pure BS.

The average computer store employee may know something about hardware, and
they may know something about operating systems and game software, but in my
experience they know nothing about MS Office nor anything about it's
password protection.

There may be B2B services with online databases available to service techs,
but they'd be VERY EXPENSIVE.

So all an IP thief would need to do is make a copy of a file, take it
home, copy it onto his own PC, call the shop and tell them his impish
nephew Bobby was playoing around on his PC and password protected his
customer list? And that proves legal access how?

Pretty hard to discuss anything with one who won't read or comprehend,
we'll drop this one. But it's really not that difficult.

I've read enough and comprehended enough to know you have no idea what
you're talking about. You seem to be unaware that on any machine that
provides e-mail with file attachments, it's possible to fake ownership (in
the OS sense) of any file that could be received via e-mail.

So how would anyone be able to establish legal entitlement to unprotect a
file before the fact? If it can't be proven, what's the point of paying
someone to attempt this pointless task?

. . . Everyone would like to have everything free, if that's not
possible then you have to pay whatever the price might be.

Given how much free software is available, it wasn't unreasonable for the OP
to ask about free password crackers. They may not be available (though SLOW
brute force code has been posted in the past in several Excel newsgroups).

No, just to point out your very disturbing lack of morals. . . .

Where have I advocated for breaking any laws? At most I've pointed out that
certain laws are very easy to break. That's immoral or amoral?

What I've written that you've failed to understand is that there are
legitmate uses for password cracking. Claims for legitimate use for password
cracking are more frequent than not, though I'll grant that claims aren't
proof, but my own experience has led me to believe that most such requests
are legitimate. If your experience is different, you gotta get some new
friends.

I'm done with you.

We'll see.

Old August 15th 05, 07:45 PM
Harlan Grove

"JoAnn Paules [MSFT MVP]" wrote...
Nope, just making a suggestion. Imposing my morals would be "Don't do
that because ....." or "It's a sin to .....". I didn't do either - I
just suggested that maybe they shouldn't be trying to break into the
file.

This is pure rhetorical cuteness. "I didn't say 'Don't do that.', I said
'Maybe you shouldn't do that.'" So maybe they should, too?

You used oblique language to communicate the same message you're now
claiming you didn't send.

Without knowing the facts or asking questions to establish the facts (which
would be all David's hypothetical Office-aware, house-calling computer store
clerk could do), you assumed illicit intent.

Old August 15th 05, 07:49 PM
Harlan Grove

"JE McGimpsey" wrote...
How does one sue a newsgroup, anyway? Where and to whom would the suit be
served?

Just a guess, but the existence of moderators in presumably proprietary
newsgroups (e.g., starting with microsoft rather than comp or alt) could be
enough to make the sponsor liable. A very good reason not to moderate.

Old August 25th 05, 12:14 PM
Amedee Van Gasse

In , Harlan Grove told us an
interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom of this
message.

I'm done with you.

We'll see.

*sigh*

You are BOTH right
AND
you are BOTH wrong.

But I'm not going to *plonk* you guys for that. At least you were
polite, the both of you.

Btw: You'd have to be a pretty stupid criminal to leave your traces on
a fscking[0] Microsoft usenet server... So far nobody has mentioned
that argument!

[0] Pardon my French.

--
Amedee Van Gasse
Old August 25th 05, 12:22 PM
Amedee Van Gasse

In , David R. Norton MVP
told us an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the bottom
of this message.

JE McGimpsey wrote in:

In article ,
"David R. Norton MVP" wrote:

And how many computer shop employees know how to remove

passwords from Office documents?

Every one I've ever encountered.

You've asked at every computer shop? Or have you just not
encountered many?

As stated, everyone I've ever encountered.

*snip*

Hmmm...what authority is necessary? How do I know someone is "in
authority"?

Ridiculous comeback and you know it.

*snip*

You should all be ashamed of yourselves but I know you won't be...

Don't bother replying, I'm done with you.

Woohoo!!!
MVP flame war!!!!!
/ROTFLMAO/
Looks like all the good stuff happens when I'm on holiday. ;-)

--
Amedee Van Gasse
Old August 25th 05, 12:52 PM
Amedee Van Gasse

In .com, Harlan
Grove told us an interesting story. My reply to this story is at the
bottom of this message.

Your argument is similar to saying that because handguns are often
used to commit violent crimes, one should never tell anyone where the
nearest gun shop is located, and besides it's illegal to buy .50
machine guns!

About morality: (and off-topic)
Terminating life is moral (or at least amoral) because some weird
constitution allows the posession of deadly weapons. It's even shown on
tv as entertainment. Weapons, brought to you by the guy who played the
guy with the stone tablets that said Killing Isn't A Good Thing, Really.
Creating life (sex) otoh is considered immoral.

I'm confused, and I'm glad I'm a rightponder.

--
Amedee Van Gasse