-   -   SUMIF vs COUNTIF (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/39640-sumif-vs-countif.html)

Kay

SUMIF vs COUNTIF

I have a column populated with dates. I want a cell in another worksheet to
count how many of the dates in the aforementioned column are less than a user
defined date. I.e. I want the cell to display how many dates fall before 15th
August. I am unsure as to how to write this correctly. Currently I have:

=COUNTIF('Sheet1'!AH16:AH97, "<15/08/2005")

Is this correct?

What would SUMIF do in contrast?

Bob Phillips

=COUNTIF('Sheet1'!AH16:AH97, "<"&Date(2005,08,15))

This just counts the instances. SUMIF can add up associated values in
another column, such as AI16:AI97.

--

HTH

RP

"Kay" wrote in message
I have a column populated with dates. I want a cell in another worksheet

count how many of the dates in the aforementioned column are less than a

user
defined date. I.e. I want the cell to display how many dates fall before

15th
August. I am unsure as to how to write this correctly. Currently I have:

=COUNTIF('Sheet1'!AH16:AH97, "<15/08/2005")

Is this correct?

What would SUMIF do in contrast?

Dave Peterson

Just to add to Bob's reply...

If you had a third column representing the number of widgets sold, you could use
=sumif() to add up all the widgets sold before that date.