-   -   birthdays - determining when due (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/39081-birthdays-determining-when-due.html)

mcraig

birthdays - determining when due

please can someone help me with the following

i wish to find out from a list of students names and dob, when a students
birthday is due

example
column 1 column 2
name dob
fred smith 12/1/1985

i need a formula to tell me whos birhtday is due in a specific month and on
what date so i can send out a card

many thanks

Hank Scorpio

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 01:13:01 -0700, mcraig
wrote:

please can someone help me with the following

i wish to find out from a list of students names and dob, when a students
birthday is due

example
column 1 column 2
name dob
fred smith 12/1/1985

i need a formula to tell me whos birhtday is due in a specific month and on
what date so i can send out a card

I'm not quite sure whether I understand your question, but if I do the
following may do what you want:
In column 3 (C), put the formula =MONTH(B1)
In column 4 (D), put =DAY(B1)

Now go to Data menu - Filter - Autofilter.

You can select the month that you want from column C. Column D will
then show you the dates on which birthdays occur for that month.

(There are other ways of doing this, but the method above makes the
results nice and obvious.)

Hank Scorpio
scorpionet who hates spam is at iprimus.com.au (You know what to do.)
* Please keep all replies in this Newsgroup. Thanks! *

SVC

In cell C2, you can use the formula (assuming the birthdate is cell B2)
=TEXT(B2,"MM/DD"), then copy your formula down and sort.

"mcraig" wrote:

please can someone help me with the following

i wish to find out from a list of students names and dob, when a students
birthday is due

example
column 1 column 2
name dob
fred smith 12/1/1985

i need a formula to tell me whos birhtday is due in a specific month and on
what date so i can send out a card

many thanks

Ltat42a

By doing these two examples duplicates the birthdate. Couldn't you
highlight all the names and birthdates and sort by the birthdate -
either ascending or descending?

I'm using a spreadsheet that determines everybody's time on the job by
their hire date. I first sorted the entire list by hire date, then used
the following forumla to determine how long they have been employed -

=DATEDIF(E3,TODAY(),"m")/12
(E3 contains the first person's hire date)
Put this formula in a cell adjacent to the birthdate column, then copy
down.

Everytime I open this spreadsheet, this will auto update their years of
service (person with the most number of years at the top).

--
Ltat42a
Ltat42a's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=24735

SVC

Your approach is good at finding length of service (or age), but does not
sort by month/day of birth. In this given case, it is not a question of a
person's age, but of when their birthday is in order from Jan 1 to Dec 31.
I'm at a loss as to how your suggestion provides this information.