-   -   Filtering out text with conditional formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/38902-filtering-out-text-conditional-formatting.html)

bluebean

Filtering out text with conditional formatting

hi there,

I have a problem I need help with. I have a worksheet that has a
column with 13 digit long number in it.
I want a formula (or is it conditional formatting) that will highlight
the cell if the last 5 digits of the number are not ‘00000’

The number is in text format and needs to stay that way… so I was
thinking there could be come way to examine the text .. I dunno… any
ideas greatly appreciated…

thanks!

--
bluebean
bluebean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25951

aristotle

Hi,

Go to conditional formatting. Formula is: =RIGHT(A1,5)<"00000"

Then all you need to do is choose a format.

"bluebean" wrote:

hi there,

I have a problem I need help with. I have a worksheet that has a
column with 13 digit long number in it.
I want a formula (or is it conditional formatting) that will highlight
the cell if the last 5 digits of the number are not €˜00000

The number is in text format and needs to stay that way€¦ so I was
thinking there could be come way to examine the text .. I dunno€¦ any
ideas greatly appreciated€¦

thanks!

--
bluebean
bluebean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25951
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=393248

Jim May

In CF enter: =RIGHT(A1,5)<"00000"
(on one line)
HTH

"bluebean" wrote in
message ...

hi there,

I have a problem I need help with. I have a worksheet that has a
column with 13 digit long number in it.
I want a formula (or is it conditional formatting) that will highlight
the cell if the last 5 digits of the number are not '00000'

The number is in text format and needs to stay that way. so I was
thinking there could be come way to examine the text .. I dunno. any
ideas greatly appreciated.

thanks!

--
bluebean
bluebean's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=393248

bluebean

Thanks for that guys - unfortunately when I go in to do that, it changes
all the cells to yellow, regardless of whether or not they end with
00000.....
any ideas why this would be? thanks.

--
bluebean
bluebean's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25951
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=393248

aristotle

Make sure the "00000" is within quotes, that's all I can think of.