-   -   += prefix to formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/38460-%3D-prefix-formula.html)

JJDuffin

+= prefix to formula

I've received an Excel sheet which has many cells with formulae prefixed by +=.
I cannot find any explanation of the significance of putting plus before
equals.

Any pointers to an explanation?

Thanks

JJ

Marvin P. Winterbottom

is it += or =+? When I type formulas I always use +, like +if(a1, etc) and
they change to =+if(a1, etc)

"JJDuffin" wrote:

I've received an Excel sheet which has many cells with formulae prefixed by +=.
I cannot find any explanation of the significance of putting plus before
equals.

Any pointers to an explanation?

Thanks

JJ

JE McGimpsey

I assume that your using + to start formulae is just a holdover from
Lotus 1-2-3, and that you realize that it's superfluous in XL.

In article ,
"Marvin P. Winterbottom"
wrote:

is it += or =+? When I type formulas I always use +, like +if(a1, etc) and
they change to =+if(a1, etc)

Gordon

"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message

I assume that your using + to start formulae is just a holdover from
Lotus 1-2-3, and that you realize that it's superfluous in XL.

Umm no it's not. try typing "A1+B1" (without the quotes) into a cell .Excel
thinks that is TEXT! Try it with 1+2 as well Excel STILL thinks that is
text.
In fact, if you type "1+2" (without the quotes) in Lotus, yes, it adds them
up! In Excel you HAVE to type in either "=" or "+" or "-" in front of your
formula.

JJDuffin

Thanks, I see it is in fact =+ as in =+'CBD A+B'!E38*1000

So I can remove the + without affecting result?

JJ

"JJDuffin" wrote in message

Thanks, I see it is in fact =+ as in =+'CBD A+B'!E38*1000

So I can remove the + without affecting result?

Yes, but why bother?

JJDuffin

It's superfluous syntax and I generally like things to be as simple as
possible. I feel more comfortable when there aren't strange constructions
appearing that I can't find in the online help. Just a personal comfort
factor I suppose.

Thanks for the help anyway. It's the first time I've used this forum so I'm
very impressed that others take the time to help in this way.

JJ

"Gordon" wrote:

"JE McGimpsey" wrote in message

I assume that your using + to start formulae is just a holdover from
Lotus 1-2-3, and that you realize that it's superfluous in XL.

Umm no it's not. try typing "A1+B1" (without the quotes) into a cell .Excel
thinks that is TEXT! Try it with 1+2 as well Excel STILL thinks that is
text.
In fact, if you type "1+2" (without the quotes) in Lotus, yes, it adds them
up! In Excel you HAVE to type in either "=" or "+" or "-" in front of your
formula.

Yes, of course. What I meant is that typing + rather than = leaves a
superfluous character in the formula (the leading +)...incomplete
wording on my part <sigh.