-   -   How do I add every few cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/38341-how-do-i-add-every-few-cells.html)

SusanK

How do I add every few cells

How do I add cell B7, B10, B13 (every 3 cells up to 500+)? Note: The other
cells such as B6 and B9 have other forumlas and info that is not to be
included). I did this manually but the formula has now gotten so long that I
get an error saying "formula too long". So I figured, there must be a
shorter formula that just adds every 3 (or whatever designated) cells
starting with one cell and ending with another.

RagDyer

Try this:

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(ROW(B7:B500)-1,3)=0)*(B7:B500))
--
HTH,

RD

"SusanK" wrote in message
How do I add cell B7, B10, B13 (every 3 cells up to 500+)? Note: The other
cells such as B6 and B9 have other forumlas and info that is not to be
included). I did this manually but the formula has now gotten so long

that I
get an error saying "formula too long". So I figured, there must be a
shorter formula that just adds every 3 (or whatever designated) cells
starting with one cell and ending with another.

Ron de Bruin

Try this Susan

=SUMPRODUCT((B7:B500)*(MOD(ROW(B7:B500)-ROW(B7),3)=0))

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"SusanK" wrote in message ...
How do I add cell B7, B10, B13 (every 3 cells up to 500+)? Note: The other
cells such as B6 and B9 have other forumlas and info that is not to be
included). I did this manually but the formula has now gotten so long that I
get an error saying "formula too long". So I figured, there must be a
shorter formula that just adds every 3 (or whatever designated) cells
starting with one cell and ending with another.

SusanK

I tried this and it said that it couldn't creat because of a circular
reference. This formula I need provides me with a number that is used in a
formula for cells B8, B11, etc. Any other suggestions? I'd really
appreciate it!!!

"SusanK" wrote in message
How do I add cell B7, B10, B13 (every 3 cells up to 500+)? Note: The other
cells such as B6 and B9 have other forumlas and info that is not to be
included). I did this manually but the formula has now gotten so long

that I
get an error saying "formula too long". So I figured, there must be a
shorter formula that just adds every 3 (or whatever designated) cells
starting with one cell and ending with another.

SusanK

Ron, I got a message saying that it wouldn't work because of a circular
reference. Cells like B8 and B11 have formulas that are based on the outcome
of this formula I'm tring to create. Any possible suggestions?? It would be
much appreciated! - Thanks!

"SusanK" wrote in message ...
How do I add cell B7, B10, B13 (every 3 cells up to 500+)? Note: The other
cells such as B6 and B9 have other forumlas and info that is not to be
included). I did this manually but the formula has now gotten so long that I
get an error saying "formula too long". So I figured, there must be a
shorter formula that just adds every 3 (or whatever designated) cells
starting with one cell and ending with another.

RagDyer

Then eliminate those 2 cells from the formula, and add them separately:

=SUMPRODUCT((MOD(ROW(B13:B500),3)=1)*(B13:B500))+B 7+B10
--
HTH,

RD

"SusanK" wrote in message
How do I add cell B7, B10, B13 (every 3 cells up to 500+)? Note: The

other
cells such as B6 and B9 have other forumlas and info that is not to be
included). I did this manually but the formula has now gotten so long

that I
get an error saying "formula too long". So I figured, there must be a
shorter formula that just adds every 3 (or whatever designated) cells
starting with one cell and ending with another.

Ron de Bruin

Glad you got it working
Thanks for your private mail Susan

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"SusanK" wrote in message ...
How do I add cell B7, B10, B13 (every 3 cells up to 500+)? Note: The other
cells such as B6 and B9 have other forumlas and info that is not to be
included). I did this manually but the formula has now gotten so long that I
get an error saying "formula too long". So I figured, there must be a
shorter formula that just adds every 3 (or whatever designated) cells
starting with one cell and ending with another.

eider

You could use a helper column and sumif function. Put a character in the
helper column in each row you want to include in the sum. If you put as s in
each applicable row of Col A, your formula would be =sumif
(a7:A500,"S",b7.b500)