-   -   How do you apply Names in formulas? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/38334-how-do-you-apply-names-formulas.html)

Mac

How do you apply Names in formulas?

I created various worksheets, one of which is a common input page. Formulas
in the other sheets draw from this input sheet, referencing the tab and then
cell. I then went back and defined names for the cells containing inputs in
the input sheet. When I tried to apply these names in the other sheets'
formulas (to replace the cell references), I got an error saying that
Microsoft Excel could not find any references. I followed the procedure of
clicking on the appropriate cell containing the formula == clicking Insert
== clicking Name == clicking Apply == and clicking the appropriate Name.
I also followed the same procedure in a blank cell. I keep getting the same
error. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

eider

Just go to the cell you want to pick up the value of the named cell and key in
=[name]

If you named a cell "aug" you would key in =aug

If you want the cell to be 2 times aug, key in =2*aug

"Mac" wrote:

I created various worksheets, one of which is a common input page. Formulas
in the other sheets draw from this input sheet, referencing the tab and then
cell. I then went back and defined names for the cells containing inputs in
the input sheet. When I tried to apply these names in the other sheets'
formulas (to replace the cell references), I got an error saying that
Microsoft Excel could not find any references. I followed the procedure of
clicking on the appropriate cell containing the formula == clicking Insert
== clicking Name == clicking Apply == and clicking the appropriate Name.
I also followed the same procedure in a blank cell. I keep getting the same
error. What am I missing? Thanks in advance.

Herbert Seidenberg

Apply does not work if the reference defines the sheet
or refers to more than one cell.