-   -   Continuous Addition (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/38331-continuous-addition.html)

Precious Singleton

Continuous Addition

What formula do I use to keep a running total in a column on my spreadsheet?

RagDyer

Depends on exactly what you want to display in the column returning the
total, when the column containing the numbers is empty (not yet filled).

Numbers in Column A:

Enter this in B1, and copy down as needed:
=SUM($A$1:A1)
This displays the *last* total, all the way down the column, as far as the
formula is copied.

=(A1<"")*SUM($A$1:A1)
This displays 0's when there's no number in the Column A row.

=IF(A1,SUM($A$1:A1),"")
This displays an empty cell when there's no number in the Column A row.
--
HTH,

RD

"Precious Singleton" wrote in