-   -   Wildcard Selection Criteria (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3827-wildcard-selection-criteria.html)

Graham Haughs

Wildcard Selection Criteria

I have a database in excel where one of the fields is a "Comments"
section where there are text strings. When this particular record has
been dealt with an asterix * is put in front of the comments string.
What I want to do is select out those records which have no asterix in
front of the comments. I can sort the database by the comments field in
descending order and they all finish up at the bottom but what I would
ideally like to do is filter them out but so far I cannot seem to be
able to set up the selection criteria which would work. This basically
would be to select all these records where the comments does not begin
with *. Any suggestions very welcome.

Kind Regards
Graham Haughs
Turriff, Scotland

Nick Hodge

Graham

Only tried this on very limited data but in autofiltercustom enter

'Does not begin with' ~*

--
HTH
Nick Hodge

"Graham Haughs" wrote in message
I have a database in excel where one of the fields is a "Comments" section
where there are text strings. When this particular record has been dealt
with an asterix * is put in front of the comments string. What I want to do
is select out those records which have no asterix in front of the comments.
I can sort the database by the comments field in descending order and they
all finish up at the bottom but what I would ideally like to do is filter
them out but so far I cannot seem to be able to set up the selection
criteria which would work. This basically would be to select all these
records where the comments does not begin with *. Any suggestions very
welcome.

Kind Regards
Graham Haughs
Turriff, Scotland

Graham Haughs

Thanks Nick, that works perfectly on my data. I have no idae how you
arrived at that but the important thing is it works.

Thanks
Graham

Nick Hodge wrote:
Graham

Only tried this on very limited data but in autofiltercustom enter

'Does not begin with' ~*

Nick Hodge

Graham

Me neither really ;-)