-   -   I need a larger "IF" Formula... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/38145-i-need-larger-%22if%22-formula.html)

Drew

I need a larger "IF" Formula...

I am trying to expand my if formula to go through 26 option. however i need
it to return cells not numbers ie =if(a1="a through z",here i need 26
coresponding cells.
I tried "lookup" but it will not let me put cells in the result vector.
should i be using a different formula?

Gary's Student

Try VLOOKUP, it will allow text look-ups. If you have trouble entering cell
references, then use the INDEX function instead.
--
Gary's Student

"Drew" wrote:

I am trying to expand my if formula to go through 26 option. however i need
it to return cells not numbers ie =if(a1="a through z",here i need 26
coresponding cells.
I tried "lookup" but it will not let me put cells in the result vector.
should i be using a different formula?

Anne Troy

Likely, you need a vlookup. See he
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com

"Drew" wrote in message
I am trying to expand my if formula to go through 26 option. however i

need
it to return cells not numbers ie =if(a1="a through z",here i need 26
coresponding cells.
I tried "lookup" but it will not let me put cells in the result vector.
should i be using a different formula?

Debra Dalgleish

You can use a VLookup formula to return the corresponding value. There
are instructions for VLookup in Excel's help, and he

Drew wrote:
I am trying to expand my if formula to go through 26 option. however i need
it to return cells not numbers ie =if(a1="a through z",here i need 26
coresponding cells.
I tried "lookup" but it will not let me put cells in the result vector.
should i be using a different formula?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Andy Wiggins

=CHOOSE(CODE(A1)-96,B1,B2,B3,B4, ... etc ..)

Change the 96 to 64 if you use upper case characters

--
Andy Wiggins FCCA
www.BygSoftware.com