-   -   Alphabetize information (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/37855-alphabetize-information.html)

MattP

Alphabetize information

I have a worksheet that is 7 cells across and 19 cells down. Each cell is
filled with a different 3 letter symbol. Is there any way to alphabetize this
information as it is in the cells or does Excel just sort rows and columns?
What I want to do is be able to add more information to this worksheet in
random order and be able to alphabetize the new information into the existing
info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Earl Kiosterud

Matt,

Excel can sort the entire table, row-wise, based on what's in a column(s).
You can use either the quick-sort toolbar buttons (not terribly safe), for
sorting a table on one column, or Data - Sort. Do be careful -- Excel will
shamelessly sort part of your table, which will ruin it if you don't catch
the error and undo it. Read more at
http://smokeylake.com/excel/excel_truths.htm. Read "Sorting in Excel."
--
Earl Kiosterud
www.smokeylake.com

"MattP" wrote in message
I have a worksheet that is 7 cells across and 19 cells down. Each cell is
filled with a different 3 letter symbol. Is there any way to alphabetize
this
information as it is in the cells or does Excel just sort rows and
columns?
What I want to do is be able to add more information to this worksheet in
random order and be able to alphabetize the new information into the
existing
info. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Herbert Seidenberg

Here is a way to sort a 7 by 19 cell array with 3 lower case letters in
each cell
without breaking up the array or using VBA.
Name your array "array_in", make two more arrays of the same size and
name
them "array_temp" and "array_out".
Add these names to the Define Name Box:
mult ={10000,100,1}
letts ={1,2,3}
arr_rows ={1;2;3;4;5;6;7;8;9;10;11;12;13;14;15;16;17;18;19}
arr_colt ={1,2,3,4,5,6,7}
array10 =(arr_rows-1)*MAX(arr_colt)+arr_colt
array12 =SMALL(array_temp,array10)
Fill array_temp with the array formula (Shift, Cntrl, Enter)
=SUM(INDEX(((CODE(MID(INDEX(array_in,,arr_colt),le tts,1))-87)*mult),arr_rows,))
Fill array_out with the array formula
=CHAR(LEFT(array12,2)+87)&CHAR(MID(array12,3,2)+87 )&CHAR(RIGHT(array12,2)+87)