-   -   How to protect data in rows from being seperated during sort (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/36735-how-protect-data-rows-being-seperated-during-sort.html)

tired of finding my data scrambled

How to protect data in rows from being seperated during sort

I have a huge spreadsheet that needs to be sorted a million times but several
people. The problem is that during some of the sorts they don't always grab
the whole row and the data then gets scrambled. how can I protect the sheet
so that the rows can be moved and sorted and edited but the data within the
rows always stays together

RagDyeR

If your sheet is not too dynamic, and tends to stay the same size, then
simply create a named range.

Select *all* the rows and columns concerned.
Click in the "Name box", and enter a short appropriate name, like "sort" (no
quotes), and hit <Enter.

Now, before each sort, click that name in the name box, which automatically
selects all your data.
--

HTH,

RD

ft.com wrote in message
I have a huge spreadsheet that needs to be sorted a million times but
several
people. The problem is that during some of the sorts they don't always
grab
the whole row and the data then gets scrambled. how can I protect the sheet
so that the rows can be moved and sorted and edited but the data within the
rows always stays together

CyberTaz

In addition to RagDyeR's suggestion, if the _entire_ list of records is to
be sorted, just tell your users to NOT select anything other than to put the
cell selector (click) in the appropriate sort column and click the A-Z/Z-A
button or have them use DataSort as long as the active cell is anywhere
within the data range.

HTH |:)

On 7/23/05 2:48 AM, in article
, "tired of finding my