-   -   End of column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/36694-end-column.html)

Brisbane Rob

End of column

We cut and paste data into a spreadsheet and the data includes a
variable number of rows holding numeric data and then text. How do I
put in a sum formula which will sum from a known starting cell down to
a cell (varying) without trying to add in the text?.

--
Brisbane Rob
Brisbane Rob's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25096

RagDyer

The Sum() function ignores text.

You could very well use a formula like:

=SUM(A:A)
OR
=SUM(A10:A65000)

However, if you really just want to reference your last numerical cell, with
your starting cell at A10, you can try something like this:

=SUM(A10:INDIRECT(ADDRESS(MATCH(9.99999999999999E+ 307,A:A),1)))

--
HTH,

RD

"Brisbane Rob"
wrote in message
news:Brisbane.Rob.1slaad_1122066319.2986@excelforu m-nospam.com...

We cut and paste data into a spreadsheet and the data includes a
variable number of rows holding numeric data and then text. How do I
put in a sum formula which will sum from a known starting cell down to
a cell (varying) without trying to add in the text?.

--
Brisbane Rob
Brisbane Rob's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=389482

KL

or you can also try these:

=SUM(A10:INDEX(A:A,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A )))

or

=SUM(OFFSET(A10,,,MATCH(9.99999999999999E+307,A:A)-9))

Regards,
KL

wrote in message
news:Brisbane.Rob.1slaad_1122066319.2986@excelforu m-nospam.com...

We cut and paste data into a spreadsheet and the data includes a
variable number of rows holding numeric data and then text. How do I
put in a sum formula which will sum from a known starting cell down to
a cell (varying) without trying to add in the text?.

--
Brisbane Rob
Brisbane Rob's Profile:

View this thread: