-   -   Adding Leading Zeros to Text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3665-adding-leading-zeros-text.html)

Jenn

Adding Leading Zeros to Text

In column A I have text like the following
1.2
01.34
03.4
2.1

What I need excel to do is look in Column A and any text that does not begin
with a zero character, add a zero to the beginning of the text string, else
leave it alone. So that my above example when done would look like:

01.2
01.34
03.4
02.1

Any quick fixes for this? I have a thousand rows so doing this by hand would
really stink!
Thanks in advance!

Bob Phillips

How about adding a formula of 00.0#?

--

HTH

RP

"Jenn" wrote in message
In column A I have text like the following
1.2
01.34
03.4
2.1

What I need excel to do is look in Column A and any text that does not

begin
with a zero character, add a zero to the beginning of the text string,

else
leave it alone. So that my above example when done would look like:

01.2
01.34
03.4
02.1

Any quick fixes for this? I have a thousand rows so doing this by hand

would
really stink!
Thanks in advance!

Bob Phillips

sorry, meant custom format not formula.

--

HTH

RP

"Jenn" wrote in message
In column A I have text like the following
1.2
01.34
03.4
2.1

What I need excel to do is look in Column A and any text that does not

begin
with a zero character, add a zero to the beginning of the text string,

else
leave it alone. So that my above example when done would look like:

01.2
01.34
03.4
02.1

Any quick fixes for this? I have a thousand rows so doing this by hand

would
really stink!
Thanks in advance!

Dave O

This formula did it for me:
=TEXT(VALUE(A1),"00.00")

Working from the inside out, this formula converts your text to a value
to standardize each entry so it does not have a leading zero. Then the
formula converts it back to text in 00.00 format- this to accommodate
the 2 decimal places required as in the 01.34 example.

Jenn

Thanks! Both worked like a charm!