-   -   Finding an average with the lookup function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/353070-finding-average-lookup-function.html)

td678

Finding an average with the lookup function

Edit: Figured it out with help from another source:

=AVERAGE(INDEX(C19:C55,MATCH(F56,F19:F55,0)):C56)

works.

Hello, I am new to the forums and certainly not an expert at Excel. What I want to do is shown below:

=AVERAGE(LOOKUP(F56,F19:F55,C19:C55):C56)

Note that this function does not actually work. What I want to do is to take a value (F56), go and find where it is previously in the F column, return the result from the corresponding C column, and then average everything between that corresponding C column result and C56. This function does a good job at looking up the correct value, but I am unable to figure out how to do the averaging part. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have been stuck on this for hours. Thank you!

Claus Busch

Finding an average with the lookup function

Hi,

Am Fri, 27 Jan 2012 16:14:04 +0000 schrieb td678:

Note that this function does not actually work. What I want to do is to
take a value (F56), go and find where it is previously in the F column,
return the result from the corresponding C column, and then average
everything between that corresponding C column result and C56. This
function does a good job at looking up the correct value, but I am
unable to figure out how to do the averaging part. Any help would be
greatly appreciated, as I have been stuck on this for hours. Thank you!

try:
=SUMIF(F19:F55,F56,C19:C55)/COUNTIF(F19:F55,F56)

Regards
Claus Busch
--
Win XP PRof SP2 / Vista Ultimate SP2
Office 2003 SP2 /2007 Ultimate SP2

Claus Busch

Am Fri, 27 Jan 2012 20:54:49 +0100 schrieb Claus Busch:

=SUMIF(F19:F55,F56,C19:C55)/COUNTIF(F19:F55,F56)

if you use xl2007 or higher, you can also try:
=AVERAGEIF(F19:F55,F56,C19:C55)

Regards
Claus Busch