-   -   Excel Formatting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3510-excel-formatting.html)

Erika

Excel Formatting

When using excel, if a cell format is set to the general format it still
comes up with decimal places. The only way I can get a number without
decimal places is to first enter it as text and then convert to a number.

IanRoy

Hi, Erika;
Format Cells Number
Reduce decimal places to 0.
No need to convert entries, just format the cells to show data in the format
you want.
Regards,
IanRoy

"Erika" wrote:

When using excel, if a cell format is set to the general format it still
comes up with decimal places. The only way I can get a number without
decimal places is to first enter it as text and then convert to a number.

Erika

Even if I am entering a zip code - I enter the number in leaving the
formatting at general and it still adds a decimal. This is on all new
spreadsheets - I don't remember this happening before? Is there a Normal.dot
(like in Word )for Excel that sets up all of your Book1 defaults?

"Erika" wrote:

When using excel, if a cell format is set to the general format it still
comes up with decimal places. The only way I can get a number without
decimal places is to first enter it as text and then convert to a number.

Gord Dibben

Erika

Do you mean if you type 123 in a cell it comes up as 1.23?

ToolsOptionsEdit. Uncheck "fixed decimal places".

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 06:41:03 -0800, "Erika"
wrote:

When using excel, if a cell format is set to the general format it still
comes up with decimal places. The only way I can get a number without
decimal places is to first enter it as text and then convert to a number.

IanRoy

Hi, Erika;
If you mean like this: typing 94107 results in 941.07, then go to
Tools Options Edit
and un-check "Fixed decimal Places."
For your second question, look in Excel help under "Troubleshooting
templates."
Regards,
IanRoy