-   -   Who buys the apples (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/35021-who-buys-apples.html)

Benj

Who buys the apples

Hi all again!

here is the deal, I have one column to enter say WHO BUYS so say A2
contains Mike, next column WHAT DOES HE BUY say B2 contains apples, A3=
Orange, B3 = John.
At the end I want to know who bought the apples and who the orange say I
take E2 contains apples then I want F2 to tell me Mike and so on.

Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge,
All the best

Thanx for you David O & David McRitchie for answering my previous questions.

Biff

Hi!

Assume the "Who" range is A2:A50 and the "What" range is B2:B50.

E2 = apples

Formula in F2:

=INDEX(A2:A50,MATCH(E2,B2:B50,0))

Biff

"Benj" wrote in message
Hi all again!

here is the deal, I have one column to enter say WHO BUYS so say A2
contains Mike, next column WHAT DOES HE BUY say B2 contains apples, A3=
Orange, B3 = John.
At the end I want to know who bought the apples and who the orange say I
take E2 contains apples then I want F2 to tell me Mike and so on.

Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge,
All the best

Thanx for you David O & David McRitchie for answering my previous
questions.

paul

another way,=vlookup(e2,A2:B50,2,false).In cell e2 you can type or return
from a list the item you are looking for and the lookup wil tell you who
bought em
--
paul
remove nospam for email addy!