-   -   excel crashing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/34303-excel-crashing.html)

robin

excel crashing

I have windows XP and Excel 2003 with all the latest service packs. When I am
trying to save an excel file to a floppy it always lock up after 3 or 4
times. Excel will just crash and it would take a restart of the whole
computer before it will act right. I have tried other floppies, copying a
different file all together from excel, swapping drives, reinstalling the
whole office suite, reinstalling McAfee Virus Scan, etc. I did notice that it
is something with excel and the floppy drive as a whole because I could copy
all day long to the floppy random files from word, my c drive, a few files
from excel (but not consecuetive .xls files in a row), and shortcuts, etc. I
could copy .xls file to anyother drive i.e. bonzai (jump drive) that I have
just not the floppy drive.

Can you please help me to figure out why excel keeps crashing copying to a
floppy?

Hi

You should never save an Excel sheet directly to a floppy - or open one
directly from a floppy. Always copy to the hard drive and open - or save to
the hard drive and copy to the floppy.

Andy.

"robin" wrote in message
[...]

Anne Troy

Bottom line:
http://www.officearticles.com/misc/w...oft_office.htm
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"robin" wrote in message
[...]

Ok thanks for the heads up but do you or anyone out there no why it is
locking excel up? I can save to a floppy on other machines but not to this
particular one. Any help would be appreciated...

"robin" wrote in message
[...]

Robin: My guess is that the file is now too big...
*******************
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com

"robin" wrote in message
[...]

Michael

I have the same problem as Robin. I have two users. User 1 has Windows 2000
and Office 2000 and user 2 has Windows 2000 and Office 2003. Both have been
doing the same routine for years without a problem. All of a sudden they both
have problem with Office freezing when saving to floppy. User 1 is using
Excel and user 2 with Word. I know everyone says don't save directly to
floppy but these users do. The problem is from a Windows Update but I don't
know which one. Can anyone help figure this out? Thanks!

"robin" wrote:

[...]

Jonathan May

See also:

http://support.microsoft.com/default...23120121120120

its a tips list, so look at "Do not open and save directly from a
floppy disk"

--
Jonathan May
Jonathan May's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=10924