-   -   a fomula for an entire column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/33955-fomula-entire-column.html)

Johnny

a fomula for an entire column

I need to set up a formula for an entire column, not by inserting a
formula on each cell of that column (I've heard that it is possible, but I
couldn't find a clue on how it's done).
For example, I have 2 columns: column A and column B. I want to set up
a formula for the entire column B, that will divide any number that is
entered in one of the column A cells by 10000.
Hope I've made myself clear enough and that someone could help me on
this.

Thank you in advance

greg7468

Johnny,
in B1 put this formula =A1/10000 OK

Now double click on the little black square at the bottom right hand
corner of cell B1, or click and drag it down as far as you need to go.

If you have empty cells in column A you might like to change the
formula to

=IF(A1="","no data in column A",A1/10000)

HTH.

--
greg7468

greg7468's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=9031
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=384810

Anne Troy

This is so quickly done by the fill handle:

Or do you need a macro?
~Anne Troy

www.OfficeArticles.com
www.MyExpertsOnline.com