-   -   How can i add times in Excel? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3361-how-can-i-add-times-excel.html)

Excel>Me [email protected]>

How can i add times in Excel?

So i have been trying to make a worksheet to calculate my pay with deductions
and everything. But the thing is that my punch machine works in decimals. So
i changed that with a formula =TEXT(A1/24; "h:mm") which works great. But now
i want to add times, but it doesn't seem to work. I have tried =SUM(A1:A6)*24
(as suggested in the excel help) but i found out (well i think) that SUM does
not count TEXT. When i try the same formula with hours i have entered myself,
instead of results entered mathematically, it works. I do not know what do to.

Dave Peterson

Instead of using
=text(a1/24;"h:mm")

Just use
=a1/24
but format that cell as time.

Then add those helper cells to see what you get. If you want the results as
hours, try a format like:
[h]:mm

--

Dave Peterson

Harald Staff

Avoid TEXT. Use sinply
=A1/24
and format the cell as time in the Format Cells menu.

HTH. Best wishes Harald

<Excel skrev i melding
So i have been trying to make a worksheet to calculate my pay with

deductions
and everything. But the thing is that my punch machine works in decimals.

So
i changed that with a formula =TEXT(A1/24; "h:mm") which works great. But

now
i want to add times, but it doesn't seem to work. I have tried

=SUM(A1:A6)*24
(as suggested in the excel help) but i found out (well i think) that SUM

does
not count TEXT. When i try the same formula with hours i have entered

myself,
instead of results entered mathematically, it works. I do not know what do

to.

Excel>Me

Wow thank you so much it was so simple!

now i only have to multiply this total of hours with my wage. how is that
possible? do i have to turn back my total of hours in decimals?

Bob Phillips

=A1*the_rate

or if you have a summed time in say H1, then
=H1*24*the_rate

--

HTH

RP

"ExcelMe" wrote in message
Wow thank you so much it was so simple!

now i only have to multiply this total of hours with my wage. how is that
possible? do i have to turn back my total of hours in decimals?

Excel>Me

It works!! thank you so much!!