Dave Stanley

Default adding titles to data

Hi
If I plot a graph in excel with the following data

Name Score1 Score2
fred 12 23
john 22 22
pete 38 33
erica 33 33
jo 33 22

I make a scatter graph and have score one as one axis and score two as the
second axis. This produces little dots on the graph to represent where these
are. Is there a way now to add Name to these points, for example 12,23 on
the graph would have the Name Fred against it, 38,33 would have the name
Pete etc.

I can do this manually by placing a small text box near each, but surely
there is a way to do this automatically.

Please tell me there is

Dave

Stephanie Smith

You can do this using the Chart Options.

Either click on ChartOptions while you have the chart selected, or
right-click on the chart then choose "Chart Options" from the right-click
menu. Then go to the Data Labels tab. Play with the checkboxes on that tab
to see which one gives you the result you want.

Happy Charting!

Steph

"Dave Stanley" wrote:

Hi
If I plot a graph in excel with the following data

Name Score1 Score2
fred 12 23
john 22 22
pete 38 33
erica 33 33
jo 33 22

I make a scatter graph and have score one as one axis and score two as the
second axis. This produces little dots on the graph to represent where these
are. Is there a way now to add Name to these points, for example 12,23 on
the graph would have the Name Fred against it, 38,33 would have the name
Pete etc.

I can do this manually by placing a small text box near each, but surely
there is a way to do this automatically.

Please tell me there is

Dave

Dave Stanley

What I really need to do is plot x and y in a scatter graph but then assign
the names of those who attained score1 and score2 to the points drawn, so
each datalabel is the name of the scorer. Going through the options allows
me to call the x value or the y value but not the name.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Dave
"Dave Stanley" wrote in message
.. .
Hi
If I plot a graph in excel with the following data

Name Score1 Score2
fred 12 23
john 22 22
pete 38 33
erica 33 33
jo 33 22

I make a scatter graph and have score one as one axis and score two as the
second axis. This produces little dots on the graph to represent where

these
are. Is there a way now to add Name to these points, for example 12,23 on
the graph would have the Name Fred against it, 38,33 would have the name
Pete etc.

I can do this manually by placing a small text box near each, but surely
there is a way to do this automatically.

Please tell me there is

Dave

Stephanie Smith

Oh, I see. That does make things more interesting . . .

No, I don't think there's a way that you can make Excel pull the names into
the labels, but what you can do is use that Data Labels tab to put the labels
in, then manually type the information you actually want into each one.
Excel will let you type over whatever it automatically puts into that label.
It's still not as fast and easy as having Excel generate name labels for you,
but at least it's faster than manually creating a bunch of text boxes and
getting them aligned properly.

Steph

"Dave Stanley" wrote:

[...]

Dave Stanley

Hi Stephanie,
thanks for that, it was the answer I imagined :-)
I am aware of the manual entry for this but was just wondering if you could
assign a thirid data-set for the labels and speed things up. This scenario
came about at work where some scores from exams were entered into a
scatter-graph and for each point on the graph, we wanted the name of the
person who had done that exam simply for print out purposes.

Thanks anyway for your help and the definite answer, it is helpful to know
for sure and will save me hours of endless searching.

All the very best wishes and thanks again...

Dave
"Stephanie Smith" wrote in
message ...