-   -   Can you calculate no. CHARACTERS (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/32981-can-you-calculate-no-characters.html)

Lynz

Can you calculate no. CHARACTERS

I know that it is possible to calculate the number of words within an excel
cell but is it possible to calculate the number of characters?

I hope someone can save me from staring at a screen with a pointer!

Jan Karel Pieterse

Hi Lynz,

I know that it is possible to calculate the number of words within an excel
cell but is it possible to calculate the number of characters?

=LEN(A1)

gives the number of characters in cell A1.

Regards,

Jan Karel Pieterse
Excel MVP
http://www.jkp-ads.com

bigwheel

if you have "helpme" in A1, =LEN(A1) in B1 will return 6