-   -   .dat file extension (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3294-dat-file-extension.html)

spock

.dat file extension

Why did an excel file (97 I think) which was e-mailed to me come in with a
..dat file extension?

Gord Dibben

spock

If you're email client is Outlook Express and the file was set by Outlook(ms
office) in RTF format you will get the *.dat file because OE cannot handle
RTF.

Ask the sender to post in "plain text" format.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP