-   -   SUMIF Criteria (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3249-sumif-criteria.html)

Brent Martin

SUMIF Criteria

In the criteria section of SUMIF function I cannot get
the wildcard function to work. "32*"
It works fine for me on another computer, is there some
setting or something that I should check for on this
computer to make it work ?

Debra Dalgleish

You could use the SUMPRODUCT function instead. For example:

=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT(B2:B100,2)="32")*(B2:B100))

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List

Brent

Thanks, I can get the SUMPRODUCT to work, just seems more
complex then the
SUMIF function.
Can't figure out why this =SUMIF(DEC!
$D$3:$D$320,"32*",DEC!H$3:H$320) won't
work.
I get zero for the answer, but I use this formula on
another spreadsheet on
another computer and it works just fine.

Brent

Brent Martin wrote:
In the criteria section of SUMIF function I cannot get
the wildcard function to work. "32*"
It works fine for me on another computer, is there

some
setting or something that I should check for on this
computer to make it work ?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

.

Debra Dalgleish

You can use the wildcard character with text in a SUMIF formula, e.g.

=SUMIF(DEC!$D$3:$D$320,"AB*",DEC!H$3:H$320)

but the wildcard character won't work with numbers.

Brent Martin wrote:

In the criteria section of SUMIF function I cannot get
the wildcard function to work. "32*"
It works fine for me on another computer, is there

some

setting or something that I should check for on this
computer to make it work ?

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List
http://www.contextures.com/tiptech.html

Gary Rowe

Could the format for the spreadsheet that works be different - text instead
of numeric?

"Brent Martin" wrote:

In the criteria section of SUMIF function I cannot get
the wildcard function to work. "32*"
It works fine for me on another computer, is there some
setting or something that I should check for on this
computer to make it work ?

Brent

Well, I did check the cells format in the spreadsheet
that does not work to make sure/change to numeric. That
still did not do anything. Did not check the overall
format of the sheet.

Thanks,

Brent