-   -   Protecting Workbooks in Excel 2003 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/32053-protecting-workbooks-excel-2003-a.html)

Misha

Protecting Workbooks in Excel 2003

I cannot seem to protect a workbook in Excel 2003. I can protect Worksheets,
but not workbooks. Do I have to protect all the worksheets in a workbook
before protecting the workbook? Seems superfluous to me!!
I don't know what I am doing wrong. I click on Tool, Protection, Protect
workbook, but have not assigned a passwor. Even though I save the workbook,
it can still be modified.
Help please!!!
Thanks

Edwin Tam

by default, when you protect a workbook, the "Structure" of the workbook is
protected.

So, to easily test whether a workbook is already protected, try inserting
new worksheets or delete worksheets. If negative, the structure is protected.

Also, when a workbook is protected, cells in worksheets are still editable.
This is a main difference between workbook level and worksheet level
protection.

Regards,
Edwin Tam

http://www.vonixx.com