-   -   Time as number (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/31990-time-number.html)

Howard

Time as number

I'm working on a time card where employees enter time in, out for lunch, back
in and out for the day. I can do this in a time format and get the total for
the day. However, the manager thinks it's too cumbersome for employees to
type 8:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, for example. Is there a way to do
this using numbers, other than military time, or not having to type AM or PM?

Thanks,
--
Howard

Gary's Student

Try the following UDF:

Function time_it(simple_time As Integer)
Dim hr As Integer
Dim min As Integer
hr = Int(simple_time / 100)
min = simple_time - hr * 100
If hr < 6 Then
hr = hr + 12
End If
MsgBox (hr)
MsgBox (min)
time_it = TimeSerial(hr, min, 0)
End Function

Put the function in cells formatted as time.
time_it(800) will return 8:00 AM
time_it(1000) will return 10:00 AM
but
time_it(100) will return 1:00PM
--
Gary's Student

"Howard" wrote:

I'm working on a time card where employees enter time in, out for lunch, back
in and out for the day. I can do this in a time format and get the total for
the day. However, the manager thinks it's too cumbersome for employees to
type 8:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, for example. Is there a way to do
this using numbers, other than military time, or not having to type AM or PM?

Thanks,
--
Howard

Howard

Gary's Student,
Thanks very much! I'll try it.
--
Howard

"Howard" wrote:

I'm working on a time card where employees enter time in, out for lunch, back
in and out for the day. I can do this in a time format and get the total for
the day. However, the manager thinks it's too cumbersome for employees to
type 8:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, for example. Is there a way to do
this using numbers, other than military time, or not having to type AM or PM?

Thanks,
--
Howard

Gary's Student

Discard the MsgBox statements. They were only for debugging.
--
Gary's Student

"Howard" wrote:

Gary's Student,
Thanks very much! I'll try it.
--
Howard

"Howard" wrote:

I'm working on a time card where employees enter time in, out for lunch, back
in and out for the day. I can do this in a time format and get the total for
the day. However, the manager thinks it's too cumbersome for employees to
type 8:00 AM, 1:00 PM, 2:00 PM, 5:00 PM, for example. Is there a way to do
this using numbers, other than military time, or not having to type AM or PM?

Thanks,
--
Howard

Flintstone

Hello Howard:

This formula will return the time value of a three digit or for digit
number using
the military time format without having to enter ( : ) between the
numbers.

=IF(LEN(A1)=3,TIME(LEFT(A1,1),RIGHT(A1,2),0),IF(LE N(A1)=4,TIME(LEFT(A1,2),RIGHT(A1,2),0),A1))

Remember to format cell to a time format.

Example:

743 = 7:43 AM

1630 = 4:30 PM

Will also accommodate for entering time from the computers clock by
pressing,
( Ctrl + Shift + ; ), then Enter.

Matt

--