-   -   Sum function (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/3192-sum-function.html)

Confused

Sum function

I am trying to add a column of numbers using the SUM function. The result
displayed is 0, but it should be much larger than this.

Beverly76

Did you use this formula, to select the entire column?

=SUM(D:D)

"Confused" wrote:

I am trying to add a column of numbers using the SUM function. The result
displayed is 0, but it should be much larger than this.

Aladin Akyurek

What result do you get with:

=SUMPRODUCT(--Range)

compared to:

=SUM(Range)

where Range is not a whole column reference?

Confused wrote:
I am trying to add a column of numbers using the SUM function. The result
displayed is 0, but it should be much larger than this.

JulieD

it is possible that excel is treating your numbers as text, to test this, in
another cell type
=ISNUMBER(D1)
where D1 is a number in the column you want to sum
if FALSE is returned then you need to select a blank cell (probably on
another worksheet) and choose copy
then select your column and choose edit / paste special / add and click OK

then reenter your SUM formula and it should work.

Cheers
JulieD